Where NEX NEWS visitors are.
A NEXIALIST N+E+W+S FEATURE: Bio-hazard
from L. Reichard White
Do you like the "A-ha!" experience?
- CIA spreads flu through New York subways to simulate the effects of a biological attack on
the US. -1970s rumor of 1960s operation -- which was proven true.
- The government of the USA (called "The Great Satan" by Moslems in many countries, and "The
Colossus of the North," etc. by South Americans), the only organization in the history of the world to drop an atomic bomb on
civilian populations -- which they did twice, once on Hiroshima and again three days later on Nagasaki -- and with the world's
largest remaining arsenel of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons, wants to make sure the government of Iraq doesn't develop
any "weapons of mass destruction."
- The United States Government refuses to support a ban, endorsed by almost all other world
bodies, on manufacture and use of land mines. -CNN, NWI, etc., Oct. & Nov. 1997
- The Pope has once again denounced the UN sanctions against Iraq as, "Unjust punishment of
innocent civilians." He claims the sanctions hurt Iraq's children and the sick. -CNN HLN, 16 Nov. 1997, 12:35:12 AM
- UN study shows the main victims of the international embargo against Iraq are Iraq's
children. -CNN HLN, 12-04-97, 3:16pm EST
- Egypt won't endorse the US Government hard-line against Iraq. [Neither will Lebanon, Saudi
Arabia, Russia, France, Japan, Canada, etc. Not even Kuwait, the country freed by the Gulf War suppports the US position.]
-NWI, 18 Nov 1997 2:30:16 PM EST
- [At the same time, the US Government claims this is a UN operation] the US Government claims
it doesn't need [UN] Security Council approval to attack Iraq, and could act unilaterally. -NWI, CBC Noon News, 11-11-97,
- The problem is not over weapons inspections, but over the composition and intention of the UN
Weapons Inspection teams in Iraq. There is a highly unbalanced American presence on these teams. "For example, there are 45
Americans and only 5 French on the UN inspection teams." -Tariq Aziz, Iraq's Deputy Ambassador
- The US Government apparently intends to maintain sanctions for the forseeable future -- "UN
sanctions will remain as long as Saddam does." -Bill Clinton, NWI, 16 Nov 1997, 13:01:15 PM EST
- UN authorities claim that without on-site inspections, Iraq could put the biological agent
anthrax in artillery shells within one week using existing facilities. -CNN HLN, 17 Nov 1997, 6:02:11 PM EST
- [When the Iraqis turned back only the American inspectors, the UN inspection team
leader Richard Butler decided to withdraw ALL inspectors.] The UN is meeting today because several members think
withdrawing all the inspectors was a mistake. -CNN HLN, 19 Nov 1997
"The inspectors must be able to do so [enter Iraq] without interference. That's our top line,
that's our bottom line. I want to achieve it diplomatically, but we're taking every step to make sure we are prepared to pursue
whatever options are necessary. I do not want these children we are trying to put in stable homes [Clip was from a photo-op staged
for the signing of a bill to make adoption easier -LRW] to grow up in a world where they're threatened by terrorists with chemical
and biological weapons, it's just not right." -Bill Clinton, CNN HLN, 19 Nov 1997, 3:03pm EST.
- The US Government keeps it's largest known caches of chemical and biological weapons at the
old Dugway Proving Grounds in Utah. -LRW
1:34:59 "Maybe he [President Clinton] doesn't know that daily more than 400 Iraqi children die
because of the unjust sanctions, in fact and in reality, imposed by the United States of America." -Mohammed Said al-Sahaf,
Iraqi Foreign Minister, CNN HLN, 19 Nov. 1997, 4:32pm EST
- Most governments and other terrorist groups no longer make the distinction between the
government of the country they attack and the people living in that country. -LRW
"Don't go to war with Iraq. It punishes the wrong people." -A billboard in California,
NEW:...It is not civilizations that promote clashes. They occur when old-fashioned leaders
look for old- fashioned ways to solve problems by rousing their people to armed confrontation. -Kenichi Ohmae, The End Of
The Nation State, (New York: The Free Press 1995), p. 11.
- President George Bush launches operation Desert Storm. 100,000 Iraqis are killed outright
(-General Norman Schwartzkopf). Another 100,000 Iraqi civilians die over the next months as a result of "collateral
damage," contaminated water, lack of food and medicine, etc.. -Various humanitarian organizations
- By way of comparison, "only" about 58,000 Americans were killed in the entire Vietnam War.
Because of their smaller population (~20 million), the death of 200,000 Iraqis because Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait would be
equivalent to killing ~2.6 million Americans because George Bush invaded Panama. -LRW
- The Gulf War proved that no-one can go head-to-head with the US military and win. So what
does someone who has what they consider a legitimate beef with the US Government do? -LRW
- "Most worrisome to officials is the possible involvement of more established, state-
sponsored terrorist organizations - such as Hezbollah - with international reach." -"Terrorism's Next Wave," US News & World
Report, Nov. 17, 1997, pg.30
NEW: NEW YORK -- At this moment, militant Islamic groups labeled by the State Department
as terrorsit organizations--Hezbollah, Palestine Islamic Jihad, Hamas and others--operate quietly within U.S. borders from New
York to San Diego. ...
"Almost every one of these groups has a presence in the United States today," says John O'Neill, who headed the FBI's
counter-terrorism unit until last year and now heads those efforts for the FBI in New York. "A lot of these groups now have the
support infrastructure in the United States to attack us here if they choose to."
The United States--seen as the Great Satan by many Islamic radicals--has become a key part of their terrorist network.
-Terrorists STrong Enough to Attack U.S., by Richard Cole, Associated Press Writer, Tulsa World, May 25. 1997
2:43:02 The Saudi billionaire Usamah bin Ladin declares Jihad against the US Military and the
US Government. He's rich, has thousands of supporters, and their numbers are growing. -CNN Impact, 10 Aug,
- A huge truck bomb explodes in front of a barracks building at a US Military base near
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- SOME terrorists DO make the distinction between the government of the country they
attack and the people living in that country. -LRW
"While its effects would be the most destructive, a nuclear incident is actually the least
likely scenario, according to security experts. More likely, they say, would be a biological weapon attack" -"Terrorism's Next
Wave," US News & World Report, Nov. 17, 1997, pg.28
- Several recent movies, including "Outbreak," etc. have given some idea of just how
devastating natural plagues and epidemics can be. The bubonic plague, known in the middle ages as the "Black Death" killed
as much as 1/3 of the population of some European countries: "As a rough-and-ready rule of thumb, therefore, the statement that a
third of the population [of England] died of the Black Death should not be too misleading. The figure might quite easily be as
high as 40% or as low as 30%; it could conceivably be as high as 45% or as low as 23%. But these are surely the outside limits."
-Philip Ziegler, The Black Death, (Phoenix Mill: Alan Sutton Publishers Limited 1991)
NEW: - A deadly "bird" flu virus in Hong Kong has infected 9 and killed twol Previously this
diseae was confined to birds. It's thought the virus has been transmitted by chickens. This has caused alarm among medical
authorities and consumers alike. Chicken sales have dropped. In 1968, an outbreak of "Hong Kong" flu caused 40,000 deaths around
the world, and another flu pandemic killed 20 million in 1917-1918. -CNN HLN, 12-15-97 11:43am EST
- The ebola virus, airborn and extermely contagious, kills over 70% of those infected.
- Many of these Islamic countries have martyrs and suicide bombers, like the Palestinian who
strapped ~67# of plastique on his body and exploded it in the middle of a busy Tel Aviv intersection, like the three, including a
woman and old man, who, looking each other in the eyes, simultaneously did the same in an Israeli shopping mall. Like the guys
who blew up the Pan American flight over Lockerbi, Scotland. Like the guys who bombed the World Trade Center Tower in NYC.
Iraqi families volunteer to act as human shields at key installations against the possibility
of US air attacks. -CNN HLN, 11-10-97, 1:38pm EST
- Jailed Egyptian Islamic fundamentalists chant, "We will die for the glory of God." -NWI,
18 Nov 1997 2:31:26 PM EST
- Thousands of Iranians celebrate "Death To America" day. -NWI, 11-04-97
"In its annual terrorism report issued last April, the State Department sees a trend 'toward
more ruthless attacks on mass civilian targets' and the use of more powerful weapons." -"Terrorism's Next Wave," US News &
World Report, Nov. 17, 1997, pg.30
- CDC is baffled for over a year by an outbreak of hundreds of cases of Salmonella food
poisioning in a western town, deliberately caused by members of a religious sect who felt they were being persecuted by the town.
-"Terrorism's Next Wave," US News & World Report, Nov. 17, 1997
- Sixty-four are killed and 25 wounded in an attack on tourists near Luxor, Egypt. The dead
included 6 Islamic Fundamentalists, whose organization claimed responsibility for the attack. One purpose of the attack was
reported to be to secure the release of one of their leaders imprisoned in the United States. -NWI, 11-18-97, 1:07pm
- Israelies are trading in their old gas-masks for newer models. Israel's main worry is that a
"lone kamakazi" [Iraqi] pilot would release chemical or biological agents over Tel Aviv. -CNN HLN, 16 Nov 1997, 3:04:24 PM
"As accused murderer Theodore Kaczynski goes on trial, the FBI is investigating more than 50
cases of terrorists suspected of plotting attacks here. Their tools are easy-to-make chemical and biological weapons" -US News
& World Report, Nov. 17, 1997, cover. (thanx to Dr. Nancy Lord and J.J. Johnson)
- A few years ago a biologist in Italy who had been studying New Castle Disease, deadly to
chickens, smuggled a sample of the virus which causes it into the USA through Los Angeles in a shampoo bottle to continue studies
because bringing it in legally would have taken reams of paperwork and many months. -private source, Nov 1997
- Unknown bomber(s) explode a bomb near Wall Street, blowing the front windows out of a
building during a nearby police anti-terrorist exercize. -CNN HLN, 11-09-97, ~4:08pm EST
- ~"We want specialized military expertise available to be used by law enforcement to clean up
nuclear, chemical, or biological agents for which they have unique expertise." -Janet Reno, CSPAN1, 4 May 1995, 12:41:39
- Most governments and other terrorists don't make the distinction between the government of
the country they attack and the people living in that country. -reprise
- Although Iraq allows reentry of all arms inspectors, Clinton vows to keep building US arms
in the area. -CNN HLN, 11-21-97, 1:37pm EST
* * - Permission to re-post granted. Re-posting encouraged! - * *
In compliance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed free without profit or payment for
non-profit research and educational purposes only. -CLICK for further information.